02 June 2010

if these walls could talk...

... they would say, "Hey, jerks, get all this gross stuff off of us!"

When we last left off, we had just finished our master bath demo.

We took the bathroom from this...



To this



On today's installment, we turn our attention to the walls -- our messy, messy walls. We had a sense that the walls in this bathroom would be harder to prep than the walls in the guest bath, as we've seen places on the wall where the prior renovators did not fully strip the wallpaper before painting over it.

Lesson: Never, ever paint over wallpaper, even little chunks of it!

But it's really much worse than we imagined. Remember that wallpaper patch they left behind the toilet tank? That was nothing.


The wall material itself is the flimsiest paper-front sheetrock (not the ideal for a damp location like a bathroom), so all of our demo -- even when we were careful -- just ripped the surface plaster down to the paper. And then those reviled prior renovators, they not only left patches of wallpaper for us to discover, but they painted over partially-stripped wallpaper in lots of places, and clearly did not sand or prime before painting, meaning that half of the old paint has been peeling up.

Ripped up walls... this is why they now make paperless wall board



Lesson: Don't get lazy and skip the necessary wall prep. If nothing else, future owners will curse you repeatedly, and we all know what they say about karma.


Peeling paint


We invested (wisely, we think) in an orbital sander when we bought our place, and have used it to prep all of the walls before painting. Sanding really does make all the difference in how the walls look and how well the paint adheres. Plus, with all of that peeling paint, we really had no choice but to sand it off.

Mark is a sanding machine


After sanding and spackling, still not quite right



So we decided to prime, then use joint compound instead of spackle, and then sand again... oy vey! 


The last repair was to the hole in the ceiling over the shower that we let a contractor cut to see if we could take out the soffit. In the end, we decided it wasn't worth the expense or mess, so we had this hole to patch.

With patch and drywall tape


After a little joint compound and primer, and of course sanding... not quite good as new, but certainly no worse than the rest of the room's walls


Onward to painting!

0 comments, awaiting yours!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a note! I would love if you would leave your email address so I can write you back! But no pressure. :-) (No anonymous posts, please.) xoxo, tanja

Google AdSense

Related Posts with Thumbnails